Monday, December 03, 2012

Early Christmas

I gave myself an early present this weekend when I paid off the FN SCAR 17S I've had on layaway for nearly 90 days. I originally looked at the SCAR platform when they first came out. I liked it a lot, but because of the high price and unavailability of magazines at the time I quickly gave up on the idea. Late this summer I took another look mainly because of my M1As. They're great rifles but I wanted to mount optics. If you know anything about the M14/M1A you know that mounting optics is an issue. Especially for what I wanted, that was to be able to go from a scope to red dot type sight quick and easily.

So I decided to give the SCAR another look, with its rail system the optics are so much easier to deal with and by now the prices had come down quite a bit too, by a third. Magazines, while still expensive, were at least possible to find now. It doesn't take a brain trust to figure out where this was going next. It only took me a few days to talk myself into buying one, and another week to find a store with a good price and layaway plan. Now three months later and the proud owner of a new SCAR 17S!

2 comments:

David's Dad said...

I thought about a scar to. Then I saw the price tag.....

Wilson said...

No, SCAR not cheap. I had to sell a rifle to help pay for mine.