Sunday, January 01, 2012

The Guns of 2011 ... and 2012

2011 was not the best year for me. For numerous reasons (big and small) I didn't go shooting very much this year. I like to go at least once a month if I can but didn't get close. In fact I went for a three month stretch without practicing at all.

As far as guns go I bought few this year. Most of my purchases in 2011 were for more practical firearms, much of my money spent on rifles (and accessories). I did manage to pick up a couple more antique Smith & Wesson revolvers. Yes, I know I have a problem.

I did sell some more guns that I haven't been using. Despite being the "year of the 1911" I sold two of mine, both Colts, a 1991 that I never shot much and a pre-war commercial model that I've owned for almost two decades. The gun had all original parts but was reblued and although I had it for 19 years only managed to shoot it 3 times. Finally I decided it had to go. I guess this was just the right time to sell, I put it on a popular auction site and the gun went for nearly $400 more than I thought it would. The buyer seemed very happy to get it at that price. I was happy, he was happy, can't ask for more than that.

As for buying this year the gun I wanted most, a 1911 match pistol, I didn't get. I just spent too much on other things.

For 2012 there is not much I'm wanting and I certainly don't need anything. I might buy another 10/22 rifle and I'm also still interested in a Kel-Tec KSG or Beretta Nano, if they should ever actually get them in production. I could probably talk myself into another military type rifle. Then there is of course the aforementioned 1911 match type pistol. If I did buy one it would probably be a Colt or a Baer Monolith.

I also have pistols that I might customize including several revolvers that could use action work. I need to do something about my carry pistol too, my 1953 Colt is a great gun but if I'm going to keep using it I will have to put some money into fixing its "problems." At the very least it has to have better sights installed if I'm going to keep carrying it, my middle-aged eyes can't see those tiny sights very well anymore.

But if I'm smart what I should to do for 2012 is use all my allocated "gun money" to buy more ammunition (before prices go up yet again) and needed parts and accessories. I should also continue to streamline my collection of impractical collector guns and replace them with more "useable" tools. If I'm smart ...

4 comments:

Jason said...

If you ever want to get rid of that old, worn out Smith in the top pic, let me know!

Hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas.

MauserMedic said...

I'll second that. You should all those horrible obsolete Smiths. To me.

Type Four Body Armor said...

That second gun picture is lovely. I'd like to have one.

http://type4bodyarmor.weebly.com/index.html

Tam said...

That depends.

If you think that things are going to go all colander-on-the-face, then yes, an M4gery is worth a pile of K-22s and Colt Gold Cups.

But if you're expecting civil order to remain relatively intact through a period of economic turbulence and inflation, collectables historically perform well in those periods, as people are desperate to turn fiat money into tangibles as soon as it hits their hands.