Monday, July 19, 2010

Thinning the herd... again

Starting last year I began to change the direction that my gun collection was going. A large majority of my collection was (and still is for now) about "shooter" grade older guns, Colts, Smith & Wessons, Winchesters etc., guns that I would collect for their beauty and historic value but could also shoot and enjoy.

Starting last year I began to change some of that. At the time my main concern was scaling down the calibers that I owned and getting rid of some of the more expensive ones that I might only have one or two guns that shoot. By the time it was over I had winnowed my collection down to nine calibers. They are: .22LR - .38 S&W Special - .357 S&W Magnum - 9x19mm - .45 ACP - 5.56 NATO (.223 Remington) - 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) - .30-06 and 12 Gauge. I picked the mentioned calibers for their overall usefulness, wide spread availability and price (compared to similar, but less produced calibers). I probably would have got rid of the .30-06 and brought it down to eight calibers if not for a match grade M1 Garand that I own and also already have plenty of Lake City ammunition for. I'll just keep that one.

This year my concern is more for "using" guns, guns that I need for more practical purposes than just target shooting, "plinking" and collecting. I just recently scratched off two on my "Need" list, my S&W 342PD (light pocket gun) and my "Bush & Wesson" AR-15 (5.56 semi rifle) bringing the list down to just two. Before the year is over I hope to complete the list by purchasing a 7.62 semi rifle and a .22 semi pistol (I don't count the Budischowsky I got back recently, I was thinking more like a Ruger). I have also been selling off some other handguns that haven't been used very much (if at all) in years. So far I have sold or traded all my K-frame .38s and all but the few J-frame .38s that I actually use, and there will be more going.

In the coming months I intend to sell off the last few "Safe Queens" and some more low use guns and to use those funds to give my gun collection a much more practical edge. I know that I will never get rid of all my collector guns but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

No comments: